Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Me" Time & the Family breakdown...

Its Haircut Night for me tonight! I have a tonne of hair and the summer heat just makes it feel heavier so tonight I'm getting a cut. Its a big deal for me. I have to plan most of my 'me time' for evenings when the husband is home. Its a little bit easier to get out now because Ethan is almost done breastfeeding. 98% of the time he doesn't need one before bed anymore so my freedom is starting to grow. But I have to admit that I am a bit jealous of these mommies that can make appointments and go out whenever they want to because they have friends & family available at their elbow for quick babysitting opportunities. They really don't know how lucky they are. But I do know that many of us are NOT near our family and so 'me time' and 'date nights' are a very rare & special event when they do happen.

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating a fact. I do wish that we lived closer to family for that reason (as well as for visiting & just having family time)  We live in a town where there is a large population of East Indians. Lawrence and I often find ourselves a bit envious of their family units. They build amazingly huge homes because there are so many of them living there. Grandmas & Grandpas, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, etc. The whole family pitches in with the work in the orchard or vineyard, the child care, and the household duties. We used to laugh at them, but now, we GET IT! They really take care of their own!

I don't know what happened to the North American Family? We're spread out from east to west, we put our parents in care homes because we can't or won't care for them, we let daycares raise our kids because we're forced back to work, we can't even share resources to those whom we share blood. I'm not judging, I'm just sad that this is the way it is. I know its like this in many other countries & cultures too, I just seem to think that deep down, it shouldn't be like this. I wish I could herd all my family closer together, so we could share resources and look after eachother, but we are an independant nation, desperately trying to prove we can make it on our own, without help from our friends or family. Months and years go by without contact between some families. I hate that! It is what it is, but I'm saying that ideally, we'd all be nearer, looking after eachother, providing the needs as they arise, sharing the load, and making sure none of us go hungry, lonely, weary, or lost.  That's my ideal world! I don't care if its unrealistic!

3 comments:

  1. Love this article, Becky!
    Jen O'Malley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, it is hard. We're living it too... I have a few friends here who have all of these family resources and can do stuff. We're a little more limited, but we make it work. But I really understand.
    I'm learning more and more that it really takes a community to raise a child. Makes a cooperative type living arrangement so appealing!
    I'm lucky too because I've found such a great group around here, so I have lots of friends who will always help in a pinch and who are really supportive, many are "imports" like me, so we can commensurate.
    Deadra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true Becky! I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete