Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer Sizzle

Things are finally heating up in the Okanagan. After an unusually cool June, the thermometer is finally creeping over 30C and things are getting hot.

I have to admit that Summer is my Fourth Favourite Season. Its not that I don't like it, but I like it the least out of all of them. Oh sure, I love swimming, tanning, long days, fresh fruit and all that good stuff that comes with it. I don't love the hot HOT days though. But, living in a desert valley, we get lots of them. In fact, its not unusual to have "hot & sunny" on the forecast for 2-3 months straight. Great for tourists, boring for me.

I crave a good summer storm, a rainy day to break up the heat, even a cloudy day. Of course, I'm sure I'd complain oppositely if we had nothing but cool rainy days all summer long. Perhaps I just need heat in moderation. Once the temp is over 27, that's too hot. Too hot to play outside, too hot to go to the beach. We just sit inside, bored, wishing it wasn't so hot.

I have a small pool set up for Ethan and he loves running thru the sprinkler. But he's not quite two, so his attention span for each activity isn't much more than 15 minutes and then we're back inside. And while I like to make sure he has a hat on, I'm not a big fan of sunscreen.  So many of them are, in my opinion, more unsafe than sun exposure itself. So, I have a more natural brand, but I only put it on him if we're going to be outside for more than 15-20 minutes. All his play equipment is in the shade so if he's playing on that, I don't put it on at all.

But I know we'll be having a beach day soon enough and I'll have to deal with it differently for those times. He has a long-sleeve swim shirt coming in the mail. I got him a sun hat with a neck flap but it swallows his head up (might fit when he's 5) so we just stick to the bucket hats he has. And I have lots of umbrellas set up to provide as much shade as possible. I want him to have some sun exposure every day so he gets his Vitamin D but not too much.

It also seems that the hotter days have made his eczema worse. Poor little guy. I've tried figuring out if its a food allergy related thing but it seems irritated when he's hot so when we are outside, I almost always turn on the sprinkler for him to run through. Just to keep his little body cooler.

And well, his cloth diapers allow his bum to breathe far better than any disposable could so I'm grateful for all the cloth diapering options we have now. Besides, they are so cute that he can run around outside in just his diap, if it gets wet I whip it off & throw it on the clothesline... not into a garbage can!

But I'll save talking about cloth diapers for another day.

Today is another hot one & we're heading to visit grandma instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment