Friday, July 9, 2010

Bounty


Its just a small plot but my garden is growing beautifully. And lastnight, I got the first samples of its bounty :)
I went to make a potatoe salad and discovered I was all out of dill (I used it ALL in the zumma borscht a couple days ago) I am growing dill in my garden but I wasn't aware that you don't have to wait till its super tall to use it. Thanks to google, I cut off a few stems and cut up FRESH dill in my potatoe salad. It was HEAVENLY, and smelled 100x more fantastic than dill from a spice jar. Wow! And because I cut it, the garden smelled like hot dill in the setting sun all evening. It was great.

As I was watering the garden later that night, I realized that my pea plants had peas dangling away. I don't even remember them blossoming!! And there are peas there already. Not quite ready yet, but I snapped one off & chewed it up with delight.  The carrots will be ready next, but probably not for a couple weeks and then finally the tomatoes. So, its just a small garden but I'm thrilled with it all the same. In between the veggies are sunflowers and hopefully they'll keep growing right into the fall so I can enjoy them later.

Ethan has been good about leaving the plants alone. Of course the fence around it helped but I planted some marigolds between the tomatoes and he LOVES flowers, and he's very gentle with them so the 'plant respect' started early and he just touches them delicately, no pulling or tugging, thankfully.

And, I have to share, that I leaned into the garden just now to take this picture and leaned against the rose bush a bit. Well, little did I know that one big blossom was absolutely FULL of water from the sprinklers lastnight and dumped its entire flower-cupful onto my shoulder. Excellent. Guess its time to get us out of jammies anyways.

Because... today is more jam making once the little boy goes to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment