Friday, January 7, 2011

Teeny Tiny Diapers

 


I know that I still have MONTHS to go before this little guy makes his grand appearance but the other night I had one of those dreams that he was here and we didn't have anything ready. I was panicking about clothes & diapers. We were trying to put a disposable on him in the dream and those flimsy sticky tabs kept ripping off. So I rumaged thru my bag of newborn cloth diapers knowing that there were a few I had already washed cuz I tried them on my friends baby.

And then, I was waking up to my 2 year old saying "Baby! Baby! Baby!" from his crib! How did he know what I was dreaming about?

So, I decided I needed to pull that bag out and check out what I actually had. I have to admit I was surprised to see that I already have 36 newborn diapers! (um, and two more in the mail somewhere) OK, I guess in that department I'm a little more prepared than I thought. I will probably order a few more cheap prefolds and a couple covers to go over the prefolds & fitteds in case I need to have a few extras or have a few days where I just don't want to do the laundry but other than that, I'm all set.

We didn't cloth diaper Ethan from birth, we didn't start till he was about 7 months old so I am really excited to experience the newborn phase with cloth. I remember that Ethan was a super pooper so I definitely want to have lots on hand so that I'm not doing the wash every day.

So many people seem so grossed out with cloth diapering, saying I'll have to "deal with poop" more. Um, hello, how many times did your newborn have poop up his back & down his legs that escaped his disposable? The extra bonus with cloth, is that it will contain all those explosive newborn poops, hence saving me more laundry, and in this sense, I really will be touching the poop LESS than the non-CDing mommies.

Another bonus, with newborn poop, is that its water soluable, until you introduce solid foods. As if breastmilk isn't wonderful enough, I don't even have to RINSE breastfed poop out of the diaper, it can go straight into the wash and will COMPLETELY rinse away. Some find that hard to believe but its true.


And really, can these tiny things GET ANY CUTER than these fitteds?! I have stripes, sheep, giraffes, duckies, ooga boogas, pirates and more. I have solid greens, yellows, reds, & blues. I have a fleece cover with a snowman on it, a minky soft dalmation cover and one with frogs & lily pads.

And all of these are just for the first few weeks of his life. Once he hits around 10 - 12 lbs then he can move up into the one-size-fits-most diapers that Ethan has been using for the past 2 years. Hello diaper savings!!! And I know that purchasing all these tiny newborn diapers were so NOT a waste of $$ even though he only fits them for a month or two, because newborn diapers re-sale on the internet like hotcakes. So not only did I buy all of these diapers when they were on various sales, but I will make at least 50% or more of my money back when he's done using them. Can't say that about a disposable now can I.



No comments:

Post a Comment